[ic] Linux label printers

Grant emailgrant at gmail.com
Wed Jan 19 23:56:08 EST 2005

> > > Zebra printers are not capable of printing a TIF. Newer zebra printers are
> > > capable of printing PCX files.  Most of the older ones use a GRF format.
> > > The GRF format is an uncompressed pure hexadecimal data stream without any
> > > of the PCX header information.  The simplest way to create a GRF file is
> > > to parse the PCX header for the size and then strip off the first 128
> > > bytes.
> > >
> > > To quote my zebra users guide the format of the command to download
> > >   graphics is:
> > > ~DGd:o.x,t,w,datastream
> > > where ~DG puts the printer into graphic mode
> > > d = destination name dfault value R: (DRAM)
> > > o = name of image
> > > x = extension (always GRF)
> > > t = total bytes
> > > w = byte per row
> > > data = actual data stream in uncompressed hex
> > >
> > > Here is a small program to print a triangle:
> > > ~DGR:TRIANGLE.GRF,42,6,
> > > F0000000000000
> > > FF000000000000
> > > FFFF0000000000
> > > FFFFFF00000000
> > > FFFFFFFF000000
> > > FFFFFFFFFF0000
> > > 00000000000000
> > > ^XA
> > > ^F050,50
> > > ^XGTRIANGLE.GRF,1,1^FS
> > > ^XZ
> > >
> > > The DGR command loads the stripped PCX file into the printers RAM. The ^XA
> > > marks the start the label command string.  The ^F050,50 sets the X and Y
> > > coordinate to 50 dots from the left and 50 dots down from the top.  The
> > > ^XG command print the triangle prints the triangle.  The 1,1 on the end
> > > of the XG command controls the magnfication (scaling) on the X and Y
> > >   axis.  The ^XZ command renders the label.
> > >
> > > This may sound complicated but once you get the hang of it, it's not too
> > > difficult.  The hardest part is parsing the PCX header information to get
> > > the PCX size and then stripping off the header information.
> > >
> > > Bruce
> >
> > Hey Bruce, I've got ImageMagick converting the TIF labels I get from
> > USPS to PCX.  My Zebra LP 2844 is supposed to support PCX:
> >
> > "Graphic features: Line and box drawing & PCX graphic storage"
> > http://www.zebra.com/PA/Printers/product_LP2844_hs.htm
> >
> > I'm having no luck getting the Zebra to print it with the methods I've
> > tried though.  I haven't tried setting up commands like you outlined
> > above, but it sounds like your printer might be a bit older than mine?
> >
> > Do you know if the printer should be in line mode or page mode?  I
> > believe mine is in page mode, but Zebra's instructions for switching
> > to line mode don't seem to work.  I'll call them if you think I should
> > be in line mode.
> >
> > - Grant
>
> I wanted to mention that you can option to have the USPS label
> returned as a PDF.  Would that be easier to make print on this Zebra?
> From what I can tell, the PCX should be ideal.
>
> - Grant

Maybe printing a TIFF or PDF isn't where it's at for the Zebra.  USPS
has a third option to create a custom label.  That seems like the one
that's suited for printing like this.  You could use custom ZPL or EPL
that way.

This has me thinking about using an airbill pouch, laser printer, and
8.5x11 instead of the Zebra.  I could print the PDF from a browser and
not have to mess with ZPL/EPL or trying to integrate the driver-less
Zebra into the workflow.  If anyone wants to compare the merits of
airbill pouches and thermal labels, I've got some ideas on that.  Let
me know.

Does anyone know if the UPS API has an option to print something like
a PDF that's all set up?

- Grant