[ic] mv_nextimage ?

Grant emailgrant at gmail.com
Mon Jan 24 00:52:58 EST 2005

> > I'd like to name my product images according to the value of a field
> > in the products table because I've been noticing a lot of traffic
> > coming through:
> >
> > http://images.google.com
> >
> > I thought this out this morning, and as far as I can tell it's just
> > not do-able without a function that is to images what mv_nextpage is
> > to pages.  Otherwise, the separation between apache and IC is a
> > problem.  Am I missing something?
>
> Interchange is not normally used to serve regular images. Of course its
> possible to do it, but will add a pile of cpu overhead to the server.

Yeah I thought it sounded like it would be a hog.

> If you _really_ want this, my preference would be to make a script to go
> through your products table, rename each image and update the filename field
> at the same time.

I think I'd rather pass on it completely than maintain that.

> That is assuming you want lots of extra bandwidth usage caused by people
> stealing your images which is what I assume the image search is mainly used
> for.

I think you're right.  I get a lot of traffic reffered from
images.google.com, but not many orders originate from there.

What I really need to do is brand my images.  Then I won't mind
serving them out.

- Grant