[ic] missing.html and a 404

Gary Norton gnorton at broadgap.com
Tue Jan 25 10:48:51 EST 2005

Gary Norton wrote:

>Grant wrote:
>

>>Some search engine spiders keep coming around looking for the same
>>pages that send them to my missing.html page again and again.  I was
>>wondering if missing.html returns a 404, and I found the following in
>>the docs:
>>
>>[tag op=header]Status: 404 missing[/tag]
>>
>>But If I add that to missing.html I get a blank page (and probably a
>>404).  Does the missing.html page always return a 404 so robots know
>>what's up?
>>
>>- Grant
>>

>Grant, here is a link to a tool that I often use to check things like this:
>
>http://www.searchengineworld.com/cgi-bin/sim_spider.cgi
>
>When I use it to query a non-existing page it appears that the default
>missing.html is in actuality returning a code: 200 Status ok.
>
>I placed [tag op=header]Status: 404 missing[/tag] in the missing.html
>page like this:
>
>@_NOLEFT_TOP_@
>[tag op=header]Status: 404 missing[/tag]
>
>Now when I check the page, I am indeed getting a true 404 code.
>
>It looks like I will be updating my catalogs with this change. I hadn't
>noticed it before. Thanks for pointing this out.
>
>-Gary

Ok, I just realized that I did not test the missing page in my browser
after this change. The spider does indeed get the 404 code with the
changes above, but the browser does not properly parse the page.

The following change seems to be working in both the browser and the spider:

[tag op=header]
[/tag]
@_NOLEFT_TOP_@

Sorry about that 8).