[ic] Install DBD::mysql w/o root-help

interchange at tvcables.co.uk interchange at tvcables.co.uk
Sat Jan 29 06:28:21 EST 2005

Quoting Duane Hinkley <duane at downhomewebdesign.com>:

> interchange at tvcables.co.uk wrote:
>
> >Hi Folks,
> >
> >I have tried to find the answer to installing DBD::mysql on a remote server
> >without root but so far have failed. Most answers seem to imply that
> >mysql-devel is required but I presume I cannot install this as a user.
> >
> >I have tried a cpan and manual install of the module but both fail. I also
> tried
> >a cpan force install where some of the errors were user not allowed access
> with
> >password=no. Is there a way to set a password when using a cpan install? I
> was
> >using:-
> >
> >perl -MCPAN -e 'force install DBD::mysql'
> >
> >Is there any way around this or do I try and persuade the host to install
> >mysql-devel on the server? Would that fix it??
> >
> >Thanks,
> >Andy.

> Andy,
>
> It is possible, but I would suggest the easier path of having your ISP
> install mysql-devel.  If you talk nice to them, they may even install
> DBD::mysql for you.  It's a popular Perl module and I'm surprised they
> don't have it.
>
> What DBD::mysql probally wants is the header files for mysql.  To
> install it, you'd have to download the source for mysql.  I think it
> also needs a few libraries also.  If that's the case, you'd have to
> compile the mysql client all in your user directory.  By the time you
> meet all the requirements and get it working, you'd wished you'd asked
> your ISP.
>
> Sorry for the slightly negative spin, but I've tried that approach
> before and it wasn't worth the effort.
>
> --
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Duane Hinkley

I seem to have managed a manual install of DBD::mysql although I had to use an
earlier version than latest, I ended up doing this from the module directory:-

perl Makefile.PL --testdb=test --testuser=username
--testpassword=password

The catalog is no built, the server is running but when I try to access the
catalog I have a Internal Server error 500. Arghhhhh!

Andy.