[ic] inventory

Ethan Rowe ethan at endpoint.com
Wed Jul 6 15:36:10 EDT 2005

Steve wrote:

>>Subject: [ic] inventory
>>Do I have to use the inventory option?  I have 20,000 items I dont
>>want to go though every last item to add inventory its going to take
>>me days.  Can i disable this?
>>Right now all my items are showing out of stock.
>Hello fname....
>Not sure what version of IC you are using....
>One solution....
>If you are using an SQL database, then you can execute a SQL command to put
>XX amount in each item real quick...
Furthermore, if you're using a certain extra-special SQL database that
has full trigger support (hint: it's PostgreSQL!  Though it could be
Oracle, too.  Or SQL Server -- good luck with that one on a standard
Interchange, though), you can skip the DECREMENT_INVENTORY altogether
and use triggers to enforce your inventory count at the database level.
This is really nice; it means your apps can't mess it up, and you only
need to write your inventory logic once.

Ethan Rowe
End Point Corporation
ethan at endpoint.com