[ic] Search Results problems

Mark Bryant mark at eros-shop.co.uk
Fri Jul 8 06:43:36 EDT 2005

Hi Everyone,

I've got a strange search results problem....

1: Run a search for a list of products, limit it to 5 results per page and
sort by price ascending.

2: I get 7 results, but the first page or results is not showing the first
5 results, it's showing 1-4 and 6, but not 5. If you go to the next results
page and then go back to the previous (using previous and next as provided
by [more]) the results change to what they should be and show 1-5.

I've managed to track this strange issue to the prices of the items in the
list and where the page results boundary is........

If the result page breaks between 2 products that have the same price, the
product that should be first on the next page becomes the last item on the
reproducible no matter what ml= you set in your search string provided it
causes a page break between 2 items of the same price. The right number of
items is always reported by the search.

Expected results:

page1 - 7 matches found

  product1       5.99
  product2       6.99
  product3       7.99
  product4       8.49
  product5       8.99

page2

  product6       8.99
  product7       9.99

Actual results:

page1 - 7 matches found

  product1       5.99
  product2       6.99
  product3       7.99
  product4       8.49
                         <-- product5 is completely missing
  product6       8.99

page 2

  product7       9.99

The following URL demonstrates the above problem:
https://secure.vwe.net/cgi-bin/eros/scan/fi=products/st=db/co=1/sf=category/op=rm/nu=0/su=1/ml=5/tf=price/to=n/se=Natural/se=Condoms

Does anyone have a patch or suggested fix for this odd problem as I've
googled for over 2 hours now and not dug anything useful up that could help.

I'm using:

IC: 4.8.7
Perl: 5.6.1

Many thanks