[ic] Interchange and threaded Perl

Mike Heins mike at perusion.com
Mon Jun 6 12:47:48 EDT 2005

Quoting Kaare Rasmussen (kar at kakidata.dk):
> Hi Mike
>
> > It's a shame not only because of Interchange, but because *every* Perl
> > program runs 15-30% slower and because about .01% of code uses the
> > features.
>
> Where do you have those numbers from?
>
> It's not that I doubt them. I just would like to see if they've tested various
> applications to see where the penalty is biggest.

Just benchmarks of running ab against Interchange and test code against
a threaded Perl. I had an email discussion with the Debian Perl port
maintainer, and he confirmed the slowdown.

The more subroutine calls you have, the worse it will be, so in all
liklihood object-oriented packages with lots of method-based accessors
will get hit hardest.

--
Mike Heins

I have a cop friend who thinks he ought be able to give a new ticket;
"too dumb for conditions".