[ic] Using a usertag in a shipping formula

designersilversmiths hillary at designersilversmiths.com
Wed Jun 8 06:13:47 EDT 2005

HI All.

I have been sorting out the Locale and Internationalisation for my
website in the UK while upgrading from 4.8.9 to 5.2

Looking at country.txt I find tht there are two countries one called
the "UK" United Kingdom and the other "GB" Great Britain. This
country is actually  "The United Kingdom of Great Britain and
Northern Ireland".

The UK is in UPS zone 3 and Great Britain is in UPS zone 9 which is
odd because my passport implies they are pretty much one and the same
place.

So have other UK based interchange users noticed this and the
problems it causes with UPS pricing if a customer choses "GB" while
another choses "UK"

I would like to swap from UPS to Royal Mail parcel-force and special
delivery. Quite a lot of the country zones in country.txt are not the
same as the Royal mail zones but I assume that this is where shipping
drives the country UPS destination information.

I have looked at shipping.asc and it makes my head hurt.

So my first question is has anybody done a royal mail based
shipping.asc that they are prepared to share?

second if not - If I replace the UPS zone info in country.txt with
Royal mail ones will that be all that is needed for a new
shipping.asc with royal mail data to pick the right postal charge by
weight?

Is there a (simple) guide to the contents of shipping.asc?

Thanks all,

Hillary