[ic] Mac/Safari bad page caching makes custom IC catalog unusable

John Young john_young at sonic.net
Wed Jun 15 20:42:34 EDT 2005

tom friedel wrote:
> I maintain a very customized catalog where the customers frequently
> receive an empty cart at checkout with the Mac/Safari web browser.
> I don't have easy access to Safari/Mac but when I tried it once I was
> noticing the cart, basket.html in this catalog, would get cached and
> might not reflect recently added items.  Since this problem happens
> frequently for this store, I am wondering why there has been almost no
> discussion of it on this list (only a few posts earlier in the year),
> and if maybe somehow this catalog is more vulnerable to the problem,

Are you getting a whole bunch of HTTP HEAD requests from
those same visitors?  I've seen that from Mac/Safari (well,
we *think* Mac/Safari.  It's possible it could be WWW::Mechanize
or something similar using a spoofed UA -- but the behavior
usually looks more like human browsing with a browser that
stupidly likes to check all links on each page visited).

Interchange currently treats HEAD basically the same as
a GET -- which means those visitors might get strange
results since it is as if they were clicking every link
on every page they visit, as far as the Interchange session
is concerned.

-John Young