[ic] item-options with closing options tag

Mike Heins mike at perusion.com
Thu Mar 3 06:48:33 EST 2005

Quoting Stefan Hornburg (Racke) (racke at linuxia.de):
> On Wed, 02 Mar 2005 16:37:23 -0800
> Peter <peter at pajamian.dhs.org> wrote:
>
> > On 03/02/05 13:22, Daniel Browning wrote:
> > > Some developers (myself included) prefer to do without the closing </option>,
> > > since the HTML standard specifies that it is optional.  Less is more.
> >
> > However, in the newer xhtml standards the closing </option> is mandatory
> > and while I know that IC does not even attempt to comply to xhtml
> > standards I think it might be a good idea to code ceartain things like
> > this with the eventual thought that it would make it easier to
> > transition to xhtml in the future if it ever becomes desirable.
>
> I second this, but there is a disadvantage on high-traffic servers if you
> pages with many/long dropdown menus. It might increase the page size
> significantly, so we should make this optional.

You can do it with the [display ...] tag and friends now if you do:

[display
	type=select
	name=foo
	options=bar,baz,buz
	option-template="{LABEL}</option>"
]

We will eventually make some XHTML accommodations, maybe even sooner
rather than later. But since all browsers will support regular HTML
for a long, long, time I see no point in making Interchange spit it
out willy-nilly.

--
Mike Heins

Software axiom: Lack of speed kills.