[ic] flypage sql-queries on crack .. optimisation?

Mike Heins mike at perusion.com
Tue Mar 8 12:24:15 EST 2005

Quoting Daniel Browning (db at kavod.com):
> * Sandy Thomson <sandy at scotwebshops.com> [2005-03-08 07:21]:
> > Hi,
> > I was trying to debug high load on our server this morning, and I
> > noticed loads of queries when someone looked at a product (See example
> > at bottom of email).
>
> [snip comments about flypage generating hundreds of queries]
>
> > Although the query times involved are very short, is this a good thing
> > to do?
>
> No.  It's as slow as molasses.  The standard catalog is not optimized for
> performance.

I would try a page without the "guts", i.e. the area between the BEGIN
CONTENT and END CONTENT comments, and see how many queries you get. That
will tell you how many queries are due to the actual flypage code. If
you simplify it you can get it down to one query, believe it or not.
Many of the queries are probably due to the price routines.

WRT being slow as molasses, perhaps. But remedying that while retaining
enough flexbility for general use is perhaps not as easy as it seems.
Otherwise you would have done it already, right? 8-)

--
Mike Heins

Be patient. God isn't finished with me yet.  -- unknown