[ic] FedExShipManager Multiple Calls... weird

Jon prtyof5 at attglobal.net
Sun Mar 20 02:47:22 EST 2005

Working with the FedExShipManager and fedex_sm_price.tag usertag.
Want to replace the table lookup with the live call to the FedEx server.

I have FedEx account and things are basically working.
is in correct directory and I'm able to retrieve rate information from
With Debug turned on and looking close at the results to see how things
compare rate wise I noticed that for the shipping methods in
that use fedex_sm_price that it sometimes calls the usertag
multiple times !!  And the weird part is this happens the second time I
invoke the usertag via a page load. Let me clarify.  If I set the mode
the checkout page to use the fedex UPS style table lookup a couple
of times and then change the mode in the checkout page back to
use the fedex-sm-price tag it works and issues only the single call to
but every time after the initial call it makes exactly 4 calls to
fedex-sm-price usertag.

Any thoughts ??  I've debugged all over and can't figure out why this
is happening.  I seem to get the correct price information back from the

FedEx server but what a lot of excess traffic and slower response time.