[ic] Working with VAT inclusive prices

Jamie Neil jamie at versado.net
Tue Mar 22 05:21:56 EST 2005

Steve wrote:
> I have a client who is insisting that the prices in our product database are
> 'inclusive' of VAT.
>
> I'm reluctant to do this because of the problems I imagine it will cause
> with the checkout and order reporting functions, but I have seen people on
> the mailing list mention before that they have done this.
>
> Can anyone offer me advice on how they have got this to work satisfactorily?

We did this by creating two usertags - one to add VAT, and another to
remove it. We then used the "subtax" tag in CommonAdjust to convert
inclusive database prices to exclusive prices, and the "addtax" tag to
display prices inclusive of VAT.

Doing it this way has the advantage that you can get precise VAT
inclusive prices like 4.99 without having to store the values to 3dp in
the database.

--
Jamie Neil | <jamie at versado.net> | 0870 7777 454
Versado I.T. Services Ltd. | http://versado.net/ | 0845 450 1254