[ic] Googlebot Getting 500 Errors ... but he's the only one

Bryan Gmyrek bryangmyrek at yahoo.com
Tue May 31 15:50:27 EDT 2005

--- Jonathon Sim <jonathonsim at zeald.com> wrote:
> On 8:23:13 am 05/18/05 Bryan Gmyrek <bryangmyrek at yahoo.com> wrote:
> >
> > Update:  For now it seems that for whatever reason switching to high
> > traffic mode and restarting interchange has fixed it (googlebot
> > getting 200 codes now).
> > But I'm sure it'll be back.
> > Any ideas as to what's really causing this or how I could track that
> > down would help a lot.
> >
> Hrm.  We once had something similar to this happening on our servers : it
> turned out to be a bug in mod_interchange caused by the "if-modified-since"
> headers that google sends (this bug also affected safari).  Since google
> only sends it when the last attempt it made succeded, google would
> alternately succeed and fail each time it  tries to access a page.
>
> You can see if thats the problem your seeing by running this perl script
> with:
> perl test_google_bug.pl http://yoursite.com
>
> ---test_google_bug.pl---
> use WWW::Mechanize;
> use Test::More tests => 2;
>
> my $url = $ARGV[0];
> my $ua = WWW::Mechanize->new;
>
> $ua->get($url);
> ok($ua->status == 200, 'check http status is 200 without if-modified-since
> header');
>
> $ua->add_header('IF_MODIFIED_SINCE' => 'Wed, 08 Sep 2004 11:09:13 GMT');
> $ua->get($url);
> ok($ua->status != 500, "check http status is not 500 with if-modified-since
> header (status is ".$ua->status.")");
>
> --
> if it returns :
> ok
> failed
> then you know thats the problem.  If so I have a patch I can send you (I
> think its been integrated in the mod_interchange)

Hi Jonathon,

Thanks for this code.  I tested it but it just returns ok.  Also I just tried surfing with Safari
and that is working ok now too.  I have a feeling it might crop up more when the server load is
higher (it's amazing that my server load gets high though ... i have a dual xeon with 3gb ram and
a raid array).  Could you please send me the patch ... I'm capable of updating the mod_interchange
code (I think ;).

Best,
Bryan