[ic] Items bundles - multiple items in 1 sku

Kevin Walsh kevin at cursor.biz
Mon Nov 7 14:54:01 EST 2005

N.E.S.T. Solutions [nest_consulting at yahoo.ca] wrote:
> I've been playing around with items options and matrix,
> looked in the mailing list and I can't seem to find exactly
> how to make item bundles.
> I want to be able to create lets say ITEMGROUP1, which could
> include ITEM1, ITEM2, ITEM3 etc. with their own respective
> options.
> As for a Demo example, that would be sorta like this:
> Category "Bundles":
>    --->Product SKU-XXXXX
>           which includes
>           --->1 steelhead hammer (SKU-YYYYY) (from Handtools)
>           --->3 boxes of galvanized nails (SKUZZZZ-GAL) (From Hardware)
>           --->1 Beige Trim Paintbrush (SKU-WWWW-BEI) (From Painting Supplies)
> The items can show as seperate items in the cart/checkout, that's no
> problem. I just want to be able to suggest ready bundles to the customers
> so that if they hit "buy", all items are sent into the cart.
> I've got ideas on how to do it, but I think I may be making this way too
> complicated in my head. What's the best way to do this?
What you need is some sort of "bundled with" table to list SKUs that
should be grouped together with the selected SKU.  You could use
a new column in the products table for this, with comma-separated
values, but I tend to have a personal preference towards a separate
table if multiple values are involved.

Whenever you display a "buy now" button for an SKU, you should consult
the new table/column to see if you need to supplement the form with
other products.

If a product group is indicated then your "buy now" form should
look something like the examples in section 1.5 (Order Groups) of
the E-Commerce Functions document:

 _/ _/    _/          _/ _/     _/    _/  _/_/    kevin at cursor.biz