[ic] mod_interchange and Apache MaxClients

John1 list_subscriber at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Nov 16 11:04:55 EST 2005

On Wednesday, November 16, 2005 12:32 AM, list_subscriber at yahoo.co.uk wrote:

>> Last night I recompiled with MaxClients to 1024 and this morning I
>> ran into the problem again, also MaxClients was not reached this
>> time, however I was unable to reach the IC site.  At least in my
>> case I do not believe MaxClients to be the issue.
>>
> I now agree - after some investigation I think that MaxClients issue
> is a symptom rather than the cause.  No doubt if you have increased
> MaxClients to 1024 you are now not hitting this limit, but are upi
> still seeing a high Apache client count??  I think that once the
> Interchange daemon
> starts to have problems this must have a cascade effect on the Apache
> processes
> being spawned

I believe that my site only actually ceases to respond once MaxClients is
reached.  Even though MaxClients is no doubt not the underlying cause of the
problem (but a symptom) what I would like to do is automatically restart
apache and interchange when MaxClients is reached as this would keep website
downtime to a minimum.

It occurs to me that a good way of doing this would be to pipe the Apache
error log through a script which greps for "server reached MaxClients
setting, consider raising the MaxClients setting".

As soon as the script sees the above error message being piped to it I would
like it to restart the services without delay.

Is this possible?  I was wondering if anyone knows how to do this?  e.g. an
example script.  If so, I would be very grateful as I am currently clueless
on how to attempt this.  Thank you.