[ic] mod_interchange and Apache MaxClients

Kevin Walsh kevin at cursor.biz
Wed Nov 16 12:11:46 EST 2005

John1 [list_subscriber at yahoo.co.uk] wrote:
> I believe that my site only actually ceases to respond once MaxClients is
> reached.  Even though MaxClients is no doubt not the underlying cause of the
> problem (but a symptom) what I would like to do is automatically restart
> apache and interchange when MaxClients is reached as this would keep website
> downtime to a minimum.

You'll probably find that it's the other way around.  A pause in service
will cause further requests to be queued until the MaxClients limit is
reached.  If you wait for the MaxClients warning before restarting
Interchange then you will probably loose a lot of user sessions in the
interim.

I think it would be better to find the cause of the service interruption
and correct the underlying issue.  That's a task that can only really be
performed on a system that exhibits the problem, of course, and it'd be
difficult to estimate the time it might take investigate and correct the
issue.

I doubt that it'll turn out to be a mod_interchange issue (MRDA).

 _/ _/    _/          _/ _/     _/    _/  _/_/    kevin at cursor.biz