[ic] mod_interchange and Apache MaxClients

John1 list_subscriber at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Nov 17 05:46:37 EST 2005

On Wednesday, November 16, 2005 11:03 PM, kevin at cursor.biz wrote:

> Here's another test to add to the list:
>
> When everything appears to pause, block port 80 at the firewall for a
> little while.  Remove the block and check whether the backlog has been
> cleared and IC is responding once again.  If this test succeeds then
> the problem is flood/backlog related.  If not then, well, it was worth
> a try.

In effect, I think I have verified that Apache doesn't start responding
again even if port 80 were to be blocked.  Once MaxClients has been hit
Apache stops servicing requests as it won't spawn any more processes and for
whatever reason non of the Apache processes ever die after this point, even
if the server is left for many hours over night when I know the traffic to
my site is very low indeed.  Ron & Jeff - do you also see this effect?

I should probably mention that I am running in Virtual Server (Virtuozzo)
environment.  The platform is generally very stable for me these days, but
it is possible that it is something to do with the load on the Virtual
Server hardware that brings on this situation.  For example, perhaps the
server hardware gets into a swapping situation and hence everything slows
down considerably - at this point we might expect a cascade effect on the
number of Apache processes launched to cope with the queue backlog.
However, even if this is the case, wouldn't we still expect the back log to
be cleared eventually and things to go back to normal e.g. overnight - as I
say, they don't...

I don't think that the issue is anything to do with my Virtual Server
environment, but I thought I better throw it into the mix.