[ic] mod_interchange and Apache MaxClients

John1 list_subscriber at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Nov 18 18:58:24 EST 2005

On Friday, November 18, 2005 1:56 PM, kevin at cursor.biz wrote:

Thanks for answering the string of questions in my last post Kevin, and
thanks for the mod_interchange update.

> I just checked the code again, as my earlier followup about
> resubmissions sounded a little strange.  Mod_interchange will attempt
> to connect to Interchange a number of times, but will only send the
> actual request once.

OK, so does this mean that increasing the mod_interchange timeout and
retries are probably no longer relevant to issues related to PSPs taking
ages to respond?

i.e.
timeout = timeout waiting to get a *connection* to Interchange not waiting
for a response?
retries=number of times mod_interchange will attempt to make a *connection*
to Interchange?

So in that case how long will Apache/mod_interchange keep its connection
open to the Interchange service whilst waiting for a reply from Interchange
(which in turn, is waiting for the PSP to reply)?  Indefinitely?

So are we any clearer why Net::SSLeay is leading to "terminated output" and
500 server errors?

Quoting Mike Heins from thread on update to Payment.pm:
"We are having frequent problems with terminated output with
Authorizenet and other payment modules using LWP. Symptom is
a 500 server error from AuthorizeNet, which should be their
problem, but they claim this is not happening and payment
is actually being maded despite 500 response from LWP."

Do we now consider this to be unrelated to the main topic of this thread,
i.e. the "Interchange stops responding" problem?

BTW, normally it is only necessary for me to restart Apache when the
Interchange website stops responding.  Does this tell us anything about
whether it is Apache, mod_interchange, or the Interchange service that has
"locked up"?  Or could it still be the Interchange service thats locked up,
but this somehow frees itself once Apache is restarted (e.g. perhaps
allowing the "locked up" Interchange processes to die)?

BTW, *after* restarting Apache I get the following errors in the Interchange
error.log:

Died in server spawn: read: closed at .../lib/Vend/Server.pm line 644.
Died in server spawn: read: closed at .../lib/Vend/Server.pm line 644.
Died in server spawn: read: closed at .../lib/Vend/Server.pm line 644.
Died in server spawn: read: closed at .../lib/Vend/Server.pm line 644.
Died in server spawn: read: closed at .../lib/Vend/Server.pm line 644.
Died in server spawn: read: closed at .../lib/Vend/Server.pm line 644.
Server spawn error: Can't use an undefined value as an ARRAY reference at
.../lib/Vend/Util.pm line 1078.
Server spawn error: Can't use an undefined value as an ARRAY reference at
.../lib/Vend/Util.pm line 1078.
Server spawn error: Can't use an undefined value as an ARRAY reference at
.../lib/Vend/Util.pm line 1078.
Server spawn error: Can't use an undefined value as an ARRAY reference at
.../lib/Vend/Util.pm line 1078.
Server spawn error: Can't use an undefined value as an ARRAY reference at
.../lib/Vend/Util.pm line 1078.
Server spawn error: Can't use an undefined value as an ARRAY reference at
.../lib/Vend/Util.pm line 1078.

Do the above errors give us any hints or would you always get these errors
by restarting Apache whilst Interchange is running?

#############Server.pm
sub _read {
    my ($in, $fh) = @_;
 $fh = \*MESSAGE if ! $fh;
    my ($r);

    do {
        $r = sysread($fh, $$in, 512, length($$in));
    } while (!defined $r and $!{eintr});
    die "read: $!" unless defined $r;
    die "read: closed" unless $r > 0;  ###line 644 of Server.pm
}
 my @dirs = ($Vend::Cfg->{PreviewDir},
    $Vend::Cfg->{PageDir},
    @{$Vend::Cfg->{TemplateDir}},