[ic] Hint for seeing internal variable data

Christian Brink cbrink at brinkrods.com
Tue Oct 11 21:03:10 EDT 2005

Here's what I do if I want to see an internal interchange variable.

1. Create a test page - I call mine test.html (because I am so creative).

2. in the content area all you need is:
<pre>[test]</pre>

3. create a UserTag called test - I call mine test.tag (you get the
picture).

UserTag test Order
UserTag test Routine <<EOR
sub {
     use Data::Dumper;
     my $cart = $Vend::Items;
     return Dumper $cart;
}
EOR

4. open the test.html page in your browser.

Explaination:
Data::Dumper is an extremly usefuly perl module that stringifys perl
variables. (example from #3 might be)

[
   {
     'price_group' => '',
     'mv_ib' => 'products',
     'mv_sku' => undef,
     'mv_ip' => 0,
     'quantity' => '1',
     'gift_cert' => '',
     'code' => 'FOO',
     'option_type' => ''
   },
   {
     'price_group' => '',
     'mv_ib' => 'products',
     'mv_sku' => undef,
     'quantity' => '1',
     'mv_ip' => '1',
     'gift_cert' => '',
     'code' => 'BAR',
     'option_type' => ''
   }
]

So basically you can feed Dumper any interchange internal variable (like
$Session and $Item) and get the structure real time.

Make sure you take down the page when you are done, so people don't get
a view of info you don't want them to.

Christian