[ic] mod_interchange & AddHandler (FCKeditor)

Mike Heins mike at perusion.com
Wed Oct 19 11:26:03 EDT 2005

Quoting Bill Carr (bill at worldwideimpact.com):

> On Oct 9, 2005, at 2:07 PM, Mike Heins wrote:
>
> >Quoting Bill Carr (bill at worldwideimpact.com):
> >
> >>IC 5.2, Linux-2.6.7, Perl-5.8.7, Apache/1.3.33 (Debian GNU/Linux),
> >>mod_interchange-1.33 (IC_MAX_ORDINARYLIST 20)
> >>
> >>I am trying to install a WYSIWYG textarea replacement editor called
> >>FCKeditor (I'm not trying to be vulgar. It's the author's initials).
> >>

> >Just so people know, I looked at this editor and it looks nice. I
> >just added a widget that uses it:
> >
> > http://www.icdevgroup.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb/interchange/code/Widget/
> >fck.widget
> >
> >This will provide a direction to replace the late great HTMLarea. We
> >might even add a file browser that links to the admin or something.
> Thanks, Mike
>
> I have developed an Interchange connector for the FCKeditor based on
> the MCPUK file browser. It's pretty sloppy, does not handle many
> errors and has a few things that are specific to my setup. All that
> said, it can handle most of the requests the file browser generates
> and gives a response the file browser understands. I'd like to make
> it better but I am burning up way to much time on it. I will post it
> if there is any interest.

I am interested.

> I would like to deploy the editor on arbitrary chunks of pages
> throughout a site. I have taken a brief look at UI/ContentEditor.pm.
> As the site designer I would like to mark chunks of the page as
> editable. If the admin user is logged in they would see the FCKeditor
> with the marked text in it. They would make their edits, submit the
> form and be done. I do not want my users to ever have the ability to
> edit ITL or change templates or components.  A typical use would be
> specifying the HTML part of an "About Us" page as editable.
>
> I was thinking of creating a container type UserTag. I would let this
> tag surround the text I want to be editable. It would simply return
> the contents if the user was not an authenticated admin user.
> Otherwise, it would return a form with the content put in an instance
> of the FCKeditor. I would create an IC page to use as the form action
> to handle updating the page.
>
> Is the above a decent approach? Is there a better way? Is there a way
> I could leverage existing Interchange code to make this happen?

You might look at the admin_links Autoload and look at integrating
it in that fashion, but otherwise I think it is reasonable as long
as you understand the downside in performance and page managebility.

--
Mike Heins

Some people have twenty years of experience, some people have
one year of experience twenty times over. -- Anonymous