[ic] Question about separate perl installation

Mike Heins mike at perusion.com
Sun Oct 30 14:26:11 EST 2005

Quoting DB (DB at M-and-D.com):
> I'm setting up a new server running Centos 4.2 (same as RHEL). I left
> the default perl installation in place, which is located in /usr/bin/perl
>
> Then as root I installed another perl which I compiled with threads off
> and this one is located in /usr/local/bin/perl
>
> Interchange runs ok, but I'm a little concerned because "which perl" (as
> root) now reports /usr/local/bin/perl because that comes first in the PATH.
>
> Is this situation likely to cause any problems with the operation of the
> system? All seems well, but I'd like to avoid nasty surprises once I put
> the box into production.

It shouldn't cause any problem, because typically system scripts that
use Perl either call it out with a full path or don't use an interactive
shell that uses a path coming from an rc file.

In any case, there are unlikely to be any system-critical problems that
arise. The worst I have seen has to do with some GUI tools like
printconf-gui.

If you want to remove even that worry, just change your path to put
/usr/local/bin after /usr/bin.

--
Mike Heins

Find the grain of truth in criticism, chew it, and swallow
it. -- anonymous