[ic] ITL functions

Brian J. Miller brian at endpoint.com
Thu Sep 15 20:45:47 EDT 2005

jeff at hisgirlfridays.com wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am just finishing up an experimental project of sorts.  To complete my latest IC
> project, I determined that I was not going to use any of Foundation, and furthermore, I
> was going to use ITL as much as possible.
>
> As the project comes to a close, I'd say it worked damn well, with the exception of one
> thing.  I don't know how to do a function that contains ITL.  For example, I found
> that I cut-and-pasted large blocks of ITL in numerous places.  Now I should refactor those
> blocks into function calls, but usertags consist of perl, not ITL.  I might be able to
> make a generic usertag wrapper that called functions via include or some other kludgy
> mechanism, but before I go off on a ridiculous tangent I was curious as to how some of the
> experts here might address this.
>
> Thanks,
> Jeff

Not sure I constitute an expert on such things yet, but if you are
looking for a way to create reusable chunks of ITL I suspect the
"include" tag is the ticket (or at least one of them).

It is very similar to a standard server side include, only it
interpolates for ITL as well.  Technically it isn't like a function
where you could pass arguments, and receive a return value, but not sure
the ITL you are copying and pasting would need to do that anyways.
Everything that is normally available to the ITL is still available.

HTH,