[ic]Re:[interchange-docs]http://www.icdevgroup.org/xmldocs/iccattut/MinimalCatalog.html

Paul Jordan paul at gishnetwork.com
Sat Apr 1 12:19:32 EST 2006

interchange-users-bounces at icdevgroup.org wrote:
> Davor Ocelic wrote ..
>> On Sat, 1 Apr 2006 04:26:09 +0100
>> Kevin Walsh <kevin at cursor.biz> wrote:

>> if you keep things
>>>>
>>> I think the docs list is about to be opened up.  It's original use
>>> was not for docs discussions, but for docs-specific CVS commit
>>> notices. It's only recently that a few discussion threads have
>>> popped up in there.
>>>
>>> Perhaps we could start a new (public) "interchange-docs" mail list
>>> for documentation discussion and submissions, and keep the current
>>> "docs" list for CVS commit notices only (no posting, and the
>>> "Reply-To" header set to direct followups to interchange-docs).
>>>
>>> The interchange-users list will suffice as a public docs discussion
>>> area in the mean time.
>>
>> Since I am the only one doing commits, I don't think separation to
>> two lists is justified. Especially since there isn't many
>> subscribers either. _______________________________________________
>

> perhaps you are not the only one wanting to do something about docs...
> hmmm...?
> since you don't want anybody to touch the docs mail list...
> what is wrong with other to be involved...?
> can only you touch anything to do with docs...?
> i seem to even remember you saying that input would be a good thing...
> why you making it so hard...?
> hackware...

I could be wrong, but I think he was saying that just *opening up* the
interchange-docs list will suffice, instead of opening an entirely new list.

I have been on this list for 5 years or so, and I have seen some rants on
the docs from time to time. Now we have someone actually taking time and
trying something out. Mike, Kevin and Racke are smart people, I am sure they
are not unwitting to any moves anyone makes, including Davor, so it is not
like, even if Davor was to make a bad decision, that it would ruin
Interchange.

I am sure there are backups or originals, and there is also Kevin's rtfm
site for docs. I know the new docs on devgroup's site seem like a downgrade
now, but we have to give it time. I am sure in the end the Dev Group viewed
Davor's end intentions as a benefit to everyone, so let's give it some time.

I know Yates has done some very mature documentation work for very large
organizations, so he is probably gritting his teeth at the pace and current
condition of the docs. However, please have some understanding and patience.

Up until 6 months or so ago, there used to be a google search for the
mailist and docs, which I though worked awesome, especially because the
preview and keyword highlight. I currently use the Google Toolbar for
searching the mailist and the *old* docs.

I think having a list to post examples for others would be good. I think
there is a lot of talent out there that doesn't know enough to participate
in a professional open source construct, but has slick code. I had written a
couple tutorials and posted to the list things that subsequently got put
into the distro, but when I posted them originally, I felt bad that I was
clogging peoples inboxes and they'd have to stumble upon them in the docs. I
would like a list that I wouldn't think twice about sending some small slick
code to, to I suppose Davor? Then he would format it and submit it to an
appropriate example portion of the docs? Is that how the list would be used?
I think that would be great.

 Paul Jordan

Gish Network
  Tel 626 285 7609