[ic] Fwd: Excel data export problem in IC 5.4

Carl Bailey carl at triangleresearch.com
Mon Apr 3 09:28:07 EDT 2006

We just moved a client to a new, upgraded server, and while we were at
it, we moved them from Interchange 5.2 to 5.4.  Both servers are
running Debian 3.1.  The new server has two dual-core Xeon's, 2GB RAM
and an SMP kernel, whereas the old one had a single AMD cpu, 512 MB RAM
and a standard kernel.

Now the customer has a problem using the Admin UI to do an Excel
spreadsheet export (through the multi-table export screen) of their
products table.  Other tables export fine, but this table has some
MySQL text fields with entries longer than 4096 characters.  When we
delete the rows with these long fields, the export works fine.  The
strange thing is, this export worked fine on the old 5.2 version of
interchange, even with the long entries (a few even over 16K chars) in
place.

Here's what happens in 5.4.  The export creates a DBDOWNLOAD.xls file
of zero bytes in the backup directory.  It also creates ".txt" files
for the selected tables, and these all look fine (expected number of
rows/characters).  No error messages are logged to the screen, in the
catalog's error.log file or in interchange's own error.log file.

I compared the module versions for Spreadsheet::ParseExcel and
Spreadsheet::WriteExcel on the two servers and noticed that the 5.4
server had a newer version of the WriteExcel module (2.16 over 2.14 on
the 5.2 server).  So I installed the older version of the module, but
the problem remains.

I would be most grateful for any ideas that might help us resolve this
problem without falling back to IC 5.2 ;) .

-- Carl