[ic] cannot create account on public side

Stuart Lowe stuart at stuartlowe.com
Fri Apr 28 21:11:22 EDT 2006

> >I was immediately able to create a new account and log in to it.  I was
> >also able to log out, send orders etc.  If I tried to create an account
> >without a password, it wouldn't let me ('Must enter at least 4 characters
> >for password.') which is good.
> >
> >All the correct user info was also reflected in the userdb table.
> >
> >This is good.  But why?
> >
> >Can anyone offer any insight into why I had to do this to get it to work?
> Yep, Interchange is trying to create the users in two steps. First it
> creates a partially blank entry in the userdb table and then in a later
> step it fills it in with the password and other info.  It could not
> comoplete the first step before because the database was complaining
> that it didn't have a value to fill into the "NOT NULL" field for
> password.  By supplying a default value for password you allow the
> database to put something there, (even if it's just an empty string) and
> so it can happily go on its way.
> The error that you were getting was from postgresql and was very
> specifically saying, "No password is being supplied by interchange but I
> can't put NULL in here because this is a NOT NULL column."  You needed
> to supply something else to put in the password field, and a default to
> the empty string ('') suffices.
> Peter

Ah, so it doesn't actually attempt to insert the password value until the second step.

Well that would make sense then, wouldn't it.

I guess I was fixating over "I've provided a string for the password, why's it
complaining about the NOT NULL constraint?"

Ah well, I've got a working demo now and when I'm comfortable with that I'll attempt to build
some simple catalogs.  Looking foward to learning more here.

An excellent explanation.

Thank you very much!

Stuart Lowe | Toronto, CAN | key ID on keyserver | Skype stuart.lowe
Fedora Core release 4 (Stentz) GNU/Linux kernel 2.6.11-1.1369_FC4 on i686 localhost3.localdomain
 18:40:56 up 16 days,  1:57,  4 users,  load average: 1.53, 1.31, 1.16