[ic] [OT] Perl, mod_perl and threading

Dan Bergan dan at berganconsulting.com
Tue Aug 1 15:40:26 EDT 2006

Jon Jensen wrote:
> On Tue, 1 Aug 2006, Dan Bergan wrote:
>
>> I am in the process of migrating to a new server, and the new one has
>> a threaded version of Perl installed.  The most recent list postings
>> I found say that this should now work for Interchange, but that there
>> is a performance hit.
>>
>> I can install a non-threaded perl, but I'm wondering about mod_perl
>> -- it is already installed on the server, so I assume I would have to
>> recompile/reinstall to use the non-threaded perl.  Is that the case?
>>
>> I would prefer to leave things as "vanilla" as possible (for easy
>> security patching and for my Plesk control panel), but I need to
>> balance that against performance considerations.
>>
>> I see my options as:
>> - Leave the system as-is (take the threaded performance hit)
>> - Install non-threaded perl and disable mod_perl for my domain (is
>> there a performance hit for not using mod_perl with Interchange?)
>> - bite the bullet and tackle both perl and mod_perl
>> - any other ideas I'm missing?  Would mod_interchange be of any help
>> for my situation?
>>
>> Do any experts have advice on the best way to proceed?
>
> I find it best to install your nonthreaded Perl build in /usr/local,
> completely separate from your system Perl. It won't affect mod_perl or
> anything else.
>
> Jon

Thank Jon.

I've just realized that mod_perl shouldn't effect the performance --
interchange is already running and the link program is c, so there
shouldn't be any perl startup performance hit.  Am I correct in my thinking?

So, I guess I can compile a non-threaded perl and not worry about mod_perl.

Thanks!
Dan