[ic] Re: ALERT: bad pipe signal received for /page.html

Grant emailgrant at gmail.com
Mon Dec 11 13:02:42 EST 2006

> > Hello, I've been plagued by apache2 segfaults ever since I started
> > using Interchange::Link years ago.  The latest Link.pm has ALERT
> > messages accompanying the segfaults in error_log:
> >
> > ALERT: bad pipe signal received for /page.html
> > [Sat Dec 09 10:27:55 2006] [notice] child pid 21337 exit signal
> > Segmentation fault (11)
> >
> > Does anyone have any advice on solving this?  I'm using apache-2.0.58
> > and mod_perl-2.0.2 in Gentoo Linux.
>
> Also, here is the portion of Link.pm that the ALERT seems to come from:
>
> # Return this message to the browser when the server is not running.
> # Log an error log entry if set to notify
>
> sub die_page {
>
>     my $r = shift;
>     my $msg;
>
>     warn "ALERT: bad pipe signal received for $ENV{SCRIPT_NAME}\n";
>
>     $r->content_type ("text/html");
>     $r->print (<<EOF);
> <HTML><HEAD><TITLE>Interrupted</TITLE></HEAD>
> <BODY BGCOLOR="#FFFFFF">
> <H3>Someone pressed stop...</H3>
> <P>
> We have aborted this request because someone terminated it.
> Please try again soon.
> </BODY></HTML>
> EOF
>
> }
>
> Please let me know if you have any ideas.

The segfaults are eliminated by commenting out the $r stuff in the
die_page sub.  I still get the ALERTs though.  Does anyone have any
advice on figuring out why I'm having the bad pipe problem?  Is there
an easy way to add extra debugging info to the sub?

Also, restarting IC with PERL_SIGNALS=unsafe increases the ALERTs 50 fold.

- Grant