[ic] FW: Need help with install please. Newbie here...

Peter peter at pajamian.dhs.org
Fri Dec 15 04:27:38 EST 2006

On 12/14/2006 09:57 PM, Barb Sorensen wrote:
> HI Stefan.  Thanks
>  OK I broke down and upgraded my server to "business" so I could have the
> ssh access..
> Firs thing I did was go to the ftp address.
>  it asked me for a password and I entered it and then it gave me a list of
> all the files in the directory for interchange. :)
> Looks Like I have access
>  then I clicked on the configure file since the README instructions day to
> do that first
>   then I clicked on Makefile.pl as per the instructions after the
> ./configure file ran it's course.
> and it again asked me for user and password and then it too ran it's course,
> installed to /interchange and said "done"
>  then I wasn't sure where to go but I remembered that after I ran the
> configure file that the instructions at that point said to also run
> Makefuile/.pl ( which I did ) and then run "make" and then run "make test"
> and then run " make install"
>  so I type in /interchange/make and it began to churn away .... And it's
> been going for a little while.. Should it take this long, or is it waiting
> for another command?  I ddid not see a "make" file in the folder.. And I"m
> not that familiar with ssh commands and perl... So not sure if this is right
> or did Miss something?:
> Where to now? It's still on "make".. Toiling away ...

Hi Barb,

I have recently written up a general overview about how to install
programs in Linux (and other Unixes) from source for a forum that I
frequent, it may help you to read through it.  You can find it at
 You may want to go back to the beginning of the thread at
and read the entire thread.

Installing and running Interchange generally requires at least a basic
knowledge of Unix command line shell concepts.  There are lots of
consultants who will gladly help you out for a modest fee if you find
that you can't handle it yourself.

Also, please don't top post per the rules and guidelines of this mailing
list, see <http://www.icdevgroup.org/mailman/listinfo/interchange-users>
for more info.