[ic] 24 hr wait enforced...

Mike Heins mike at perusion.com
Fri Feb 3 10:21:52 EST 2006

Quoting Kevin Walsh (kevin at cursor.biz):
> maillists <lists at gmnet.net> wrote:
> > I have a catalog user who is entering data via IC and they hit a wall
> > were they are now locked out. This is the message in my error log:
> >
> > ###.###.###.### - - [03/February/2006:09:00:41 -0500]
> > catalogname /cgi/catalogname/index.html Too many IDs, 24 hour wait
> > enforced.
> >
> > I have tried to find out were this is set so I can let them back in, but
> > I can't seem to find out how. I have restarted httpd and IC. If this is
> > a variable that I can set, I would like to set it to a high number so
> > they don't get locked out again. It is a large catalog were many people
> > enter lots of data...
> >
> You should have a directory called tmp/addr_ctr.  Remove the file that
> corresponds with the user's IP address, which will be found under a
> couple of levels of hash bucket directories.
>
> For instance, if the IP address is 81.168.51.194 then remove the
> "tmp/addr_ctr/8/1/81_168_51_194" file.
>
> You can also modify the website's RobotLimit value.  If a user creates
> more than this number of new sessions within a 30-second period then
> a wait period will be enforced by Interchange.

The most common time this happens is when an office has multiple
employees behind a NAT accessing the admin.

You can greatly reduce the problem with:

	Limit  robot_expire  0.005

This means that an 8-minute period without a new session will reset
the counter.

--
Mike Heins

"Laughter is inner jogging." -- Norman Cousins