[ic] Relational options question

Daniel Davenport DDavenport at newagedigital.com
Tue Feb 14 12:54:18 EST 2006

Have you looked at matrix options?  Their main purpose in life is to
allow for the creation of "variants", or sub-products, whose data can be
set independently of the main sku.  Each combo of options would have its
own variant, and you could set its price to whatever you like.  The
biggest drawback is that if you still have an option that always
increments the price by $5 or something, it's no longer as simple to
change that $5 to something else -- every variant that has that option
selected would need to be repriced.

If you want to play with matrix options, go to the Items tab.  If you
don't see an Option column on the select page, edit the page's meta
stuff til you do.  :)  Then click the link in that column for the
product, and it'll ask you about an option type.  Pick "Matrix Options".
Then experiment with making options and clicking the "create all
possible combinations" button.

BTW, you don't have to mangle the core to add a new option type.  Just
create a new module in $IC_DIR/lib/Vend/Options, and refer to it in the
IC config/meta info.  Your module will need three subs--with specific
names--that price, display, and show an edit page for the options.  See
$IC_DIR/lib/Vend/Options/Simple.pm for an example.  Better yet, copy it,
comment out all the code in the subs, and refer back to it when you need
to know where to grab info from.  :)  But it sounds like matrix options
will do what you need done, and you won't have to muck around with perl
code.

--
Daniel Davenport
New Age Digital