[ic] Splitting the userdb

Mike Heins mike at perusion.com
Mon Jan 9 10:55:03 EST 2006

Quoting Lars Tode (lars.tode at bpanet.de.org):
> Hi list,
>
> for a special Interchange implementation, I need at minimum two tables
> which includes the user data.
>
> The userdb table includes the list of users. It contains a minimum of
> user information (basically just username, password, email and 2 or more
> fields for different informations).
> The second table shoeld contain the address information (billing and
> shipping address), payment, etc.
>
> The idea is, that one entry of the second table is associated with one
> or more entries in the userdb.
>
> If one user change his address data, the address data for all users that
> are connected to the same entry is changed.
>
> Is it possible to use Interchange internal functions to realise that, or
> is to overwrite the entire userdb functionality (userdb - Tag,
> Vend::UserDB) the only possibility?

There is no current capability to have multi-keyed access to address
data. However, there is a nascent module called Vend::UserControl that
shows how to override Vend::UserDB functionality to do what you want.

This is one candidate for a big change in Interchange 5.6 -- we should
provide some ability to have multi-record addresses, and this is one
feature I will consider.

Thanks for the idea.

--
Mike Heins

Fast, reliable, cheap.  Pick two and we'll talk.  -- unknown