[ic] PGP_KEY - what goes in here?

Gert van der Spoel ic at 3edge.com
Wed Jan 11 15:13:24 EST 2006

> I'd thought from the various PGP how to's in the archives PGP_KEY was
> supposed to contain the specific key identifier within pubring.gpg to be
> used, ID'd by the mailing address.
> OK.
> gpg --list-keys produces expected list of keys.
> GPG "echo" tests work fine, encrypted output returned.
> NOW!
> Processing an order produces a gpg .err file that says
>
> gpg: can't open glenn at bnetmd.net: No such file or directory
>
> Changing PGP_KEY to any other value produces the same message, "can't open
> <whatever>: No such file or directory"
> That would seem to imply it's looking to open a file and there is none by
> that name.  Looking for the keyring, maybe?
> Changing PGP_KEY to /home/interch/.gnupg/pubring.gpg produces:
>
> gpg: /home/interch/.gnupg/pubring.gpg: encryption failed: file exists
>
> So -now- it's upset 'cause there -IS- a file by that name.
> I tried the other values in the key entry shown by --list-keys as that
> seemed to be indicated in the mailing list archives as a possibility but no
> luck: "No such file..."

afaik the ID is the key ID. When you do gpg --list-keys you get something
like:
pub   XXXXX/YYYYYYYY YYYY-MM-DD
uid                  Name <email>
sub   ZZZZZ/AAAAAAAA YYYY-MM-DD

The 'YYYYYYYY' in my case is the key.

Also setting the environment variable GNUPGHOME  (thanks Stefan :)) might
help you find the right .gnupg directory.

CU,

Gert