[ic] producing and scanning barcodes

Duane Hinklley sales at downhomeconsulting.com
Tue Jan 17 09:48:36 EST 2006

Ton Verhagen wrote:

> Quoting DB <DB at M-and-D.com>:
> At 06:32 AM 1/17/2006, you wrote:
>
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > Has anybody worked with or build a module for using barcodes
>> > and a scanner in IC? Or a module that can create a barcode
>> > onto for instance a picking list slip?
>> >
>> > I would be interested in any info to help me get started with
>> > integrating a barcode module.
>> >
>> > Thanks,
>> > Pieter
>> >

>> Creating barcodes is as easy as printing properly formatted text in a
>> barcode font. Reading barcodes is easy also using a wedge for example.
>> What exactly do you need IC to do ?
>

> I think Pieter is looking for information regarding scanning a barcode
> into IC.
>
> e.g. Scanning the barcodes of products that have been received
> in order to adjust the inventory levels in an Interchange table.
>
> Actually, I would be interested in this info as well....
>

> Best regards,
>
> Ton
>
> --
> Alamerce Nederland --- Cornerstone of eBusiness
> Phone +31-40-2374381    info at alamerce.nl    http://www.alamerce.nl
>
> eCommerce Solutions -- Consulting -- Website & Interchange Hosting

Peter,

I wrote a module for a client using the PDF::Report module.  I can't
donate it since it was work for this client, but the PDF::Report did
most the work.

Since the barcode scanner normally interfaces directly to the keyboard,
to recieve items you just need a special admin page that allows you to
enter the sku.  You scan the item and the scanner puts the sku in the
field.  When submit is clicked, it adds it to the inventory (ie
increments the inventory value in the inventory table).

If you have control over what the item barcodes look like, you could
make them all a fixed width like 12.  Then on the special page to
recieve the item, you can add some javascript that automatically submits
the page after the 12 character.  That way each item you scan would
automatically submit the page.  So you don't have to touch the keyboard.

--

Sincerely,

Duane Hinkley
Down Home Consulting, Inc.