[ic] Ups interface for Ups Online Tools

Thomas J.M. Burton tom at globalfocusdm.com
Tue Jul 18 13:06:58 EDT 2006

Daniel Davenport wrote:
>> -----Original Message-----
<<SNIP>> [From original maillist archive post]
>>> I have placed a tarball of my implementation of the Ups Online
>>> Tools at http://ic2.paymentonline.com/ups/ups.tar.gz. It is
>>> basically a replacement for Business::UPS. It also includes a
>>> modified ups-query tag and shipping.asc. I have done some testing
>>> on it, but it was thrown together fairly quickly.
<<SNIP>> [Reply from Thomas J.M. Burton]
>> I found this post searching the archives for info on integrating
>> the UPS OnLine Tools. The link no longer works and I'm wondering if
>> this tarball is still available anywhere.
> I clicked the link posted in the message, and downloaded the tarball
> just fine.  Perhaps the server isn't always up, or was having problems
> when you tried it.

Well so it does work. I guess the few times I'd tried it, I just caught
the server at a bad time. Thanks, Daniel. :)

>> A client of mine is switching to UPS exclusively for their
>> shipping, and I need to change from using the internal lookup
>> method for their shipping rates to either Interchange's online
>> lookup or the UPS Online Tools lookup.
>> The UPS Online Tools would seem to be my best bet as my client is
>> using Negotiated Rates rather than the standard rates. If I can get
>> their site to lookup shipping rates directly from UPS with their
>> account info, that seems like the smoothest way to have accurate
>> info displayed for their customers.
> I'm in the process of doing this for a customer, and have found
> something you will need to know...UPS returns the published rates by
> default, even for customers with special rates.  The service, however,
> has the ability to look up the special rates.  If you want it to do so,
> you'll probably need to talk to UPS and have them flip that switch on
> their side.  According to the rep i'm dealing with, it can take 6-10
> business days to set that up.

Thanks for the tip. I would assume you'd also need to be passing the
various authorization keys and/or a password to UPS's system in addition
to the "switch" being "flipped", correct? Are you doing this through
Interchange's existing online lookups, or are you custom-coding using
the UPS Online Tools? Would you be able to share any of what you have
set up?

Thanks again for the response and helpful info.

Global Focus Digital Media, LLC