[ic] Ups interface for Ups Online Tools

Daniel Davenport DDavenport at newagedigital.com
Thu Jul 20 02:11:03 EDT 2006

I'm not sure about whether i can share the code...so it'd be better if i
didn't yet.  But i can mention how i'm doing things, since it's quite
likely anyone else who does this will be doing it a similar way.  :)

I'm using Net::UPS (slightly modified, though it would probably work as
is) from CPAN to do the actual lookups, and looked at
Vend::Ship::QueryUPS as a model for building a new lookup module that
talks to it.  As far as i can tell, the module has to in a package named
Vend::Ship::the_name_of_your_module (where that last part can be pretty
much anything....For reference, mine's Vend::Ship::UPSOnline.)  The
"calculate" function in that module appears to be the only required one;
it's what actually returns the looked-up rate.  See Vend::Ship::QueryUPS
for examples of what's in each arg/param to the function.

The user id, password, access key, and probably the account number (for
special rates) have to be provided somehow; i chose to do it via the
Shipping directive, since it seems to have to be there anyway in order
to enable the shipping module.

Shipping UPSOnline <<ENDPARMS
  ups_acct   111h5t2etc
  username   theuser
  password   thepassword
  access_key somebigoldhexnumber
  live       1
ENDPARMS

though you can use variables, scratch, shipping.asc...or even a text
file sitting in the catalog dir (a Net::UPS config file) if you want.
The shipping module, of course, should pass this info on to Net::UPS as
needed.

Note the "live    1".  Net::UPS is in test mode by default; you have to
make it live if you want to talk to the real servers instead of the test
ones.  (This probably matters for special rates, though i haven't been
able to check yet.)  I decided to make use of this and only say
$ups->live(1) if the 'live' option is true.  Makes it easier to test.
:)

In order to enable the lookup module, you'll need a Shipping directive
(that looks something like the above) in catalog.cfg, and your
shipping.asc should have the price for each desired shipping mode as "s
the_name_of_your_module" ("s UPSOnline" in my case).

--
Daniel Davenport
New Age Digital