[ic] Perl and Threading

Henry Hartley henryhartley at westat.com
Thu Jun 22 10:25:52 EDT 2006

I'm curious what the current situation is with regard to Interchange and
threaded Perl.  I'm mostly familiar with Red Hat and Fedora
distributions of Linux and they both come with threaded perl by default.
I know the last time I was working with Interchange I needed to get a
non-threaded perl running.  While it isn't a show stopper, it would
certainly be easier if a machine could be run with the standard load.
In addition to being easier to set up, it also means that patches to
perl and its various modules can be updated automatically with yum
rather than by hand.  In fact, it would be nice if I could yum update
interchange, as well.

So, what is the status with Interchange and threaded Perl?  Is
non-threaded perl still required?

I also understand that there were performance considerations.  For me,
and for the site I'm preparing to work on, traffic will be low and I
suspect the performance issues won't be a big factor.  If the only
reason to require non-threaded perl is for performance, wouldn't it be
better to allow it to run with threaded perl and just recommend
non-threaded for performance reasons?

--
Henry