[ic] QuickBooks Module and SKU/REFNUM

Thomas J.M. Burton tom at globalfocusdm.com
Thu Jun 22 12:27:23 EDT 2006

Joshua Lavin wrote:
> On Jun 20, 2006, at 11:43 AM, Thomas J.M. Burton wrote:
>> I'm working on setting up the IC QuickBooks module for a client of
>> mine. The main issue I'm encountering at this point is the  SKU/REFNUM
>> situation (using non-numeric SKUs, not allowed as REFNUM). Changing
>> the SKUs of the entire catalog is not feasible for various reasons,
>> and it seems that a better option would be to add a qb_refnum field to
>> the products table.
>> [snip]
> I use the QuickBooks exporting through Interchange, and I've never had
> an issue with alpha SKUs. We have some SKUs with colons even. Maybe I'm
> not understanding your problem...
> --
> Josh Lavin

Hi Josh,

Thanks for the response, I'll try to provide more info that will
hopefully explain better.

When I go to the QuickBooks pages in the Interchange Admin and use the
"Export Items" page with default field mapping, I messages like the

update TABLE set sku = 485 where sku = 'B006'
update TABLE set sku = 486 where sku = 'B007'
update TABLE set sku = 487 where sku = 'B008'
update TABLE set sku = 488 where sku = 'SPRG-baseball'
update TABLE set sku = 489 where sku = 'SPRG-basketball'
update TABLE set sku = 490 where sku = 'SPRG-football'

This is documented in the docs for the QuickBooks module (see
The way I understand this is that the default field mapping has the
catalog's products table's sku field mapping to the IIF file's REFNUM
value, which is a numeric-only value.

What I want to do is have a qb_refnum field in which I can use existing
REFNUM values from my client's current QuickBooks setup and not have to
change the skus in their Interchange catalog.

After I've set all of the qb_refnum fields for all products, I'd like to
use the "Export Items" admin page to generate an IIF with field mapping
set to put qb_refnum into the IIF's REFNUM field.

I don't see this as anything unreasonable and, in fact, it would make
the QuickBooks module easier to work with in different situations.

Hopefully that clears things up.

Global Focus Digital Media, LLC