[ic] QuickBooks Module and SKU/REFNUM

Thomas J.M. Burton tom at globalfocusdm.com
Thu Jun 22 12:27:23 EDT 2006

Joshua Lavin wrote:
> On Jun 20, 2006, at 11:43 AM, Thomas J.M. Burton wrote:
>
>> I'm working on setting up the IC QuickBooks module for a client of
>> mine. The main issue I'm encountering at this point is the  SKU/REFNUM
>> situation (using non-numeric SKUs, not allowed as REFNUM). Changing
>> the SKUs of the entire catalog is not feasible for various reasons,
>> and it seems that a better option would be to add a qb_refnum field to
>> the products table.
>>
>> [snip]
>
> I use the QuickBooks exporting through Interchange, and I've never had
> an issue with alpha SKUs. We have some SKUs with colons even. Maybe I'm
> not understanding your problem...
>
> --
> Josh Lavin

Hi Josh,

Thanks for the response, I'll try to provide more info that will
hopefully explain better.

When I go to the QuickBooks pages in the Interchange Admin and use the
"Export Items" page with default field mapping, I messages like the
following:

update TABLE set sku = 485 where sku = 'B006'
update TABLE set sku = 486 where sku = 'B007'
update TABLE set sku = 487 where sku = 'B008'
update TABLE set sku = 488 where sku = 'SPRG-baseball'
update TABLE set sku = 489 where sku = 'SPRG-basketball'
update TABLE set sku = 490 where sku = 'SPRG-football'

This is documented in the docs for the QuickBooks module (see
http://www.icdevgroup.org/interchange-doc-5.2.0/frames/ic_howto_qb_19.html).
The way I understand this is that the default field mapping has the
catalog's products table's sku field mapping to the IIF file's REFNUM
value, which is a numeric-only value.

What I want to do is have a qb_refnum field in which I can use existing
REFNUM values from my client's current QuickBooks setup and not have to
change the skus in their Interchange catalog.

After I've set all of the qb_refnum fields for all products, I'd like to
use the "Export Items" admin page to generate an IIF with field mapping
set to put qb_refnum into the IIF's REFNUM field.

I don't see this as anything unreasonable and, in fact, it would make
the QuickBooks module easier to work with in different situations.

Hopefully that clears things up.

Thanks,
Tom

--