[ic] Interchange, Connecting to Other (Not Default) and Remote Database

Daniel Collis-Puro dan at endpoint.com
Fri Jun 30 10:50:02 EDT 2006

Peter wrote:
> Add a user to the remote database, assign the minimal privlidges you
> need to that user for the tables(s) you want and assign a password.
>
> <snip>

An excellent overview.

Postgres supports SSL-encrypted remote connections too, which you may
want to consider setting up. It's not difficult at all. See
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.0/static/ssl-tcp.html

We're pretty paranoid, so we have multiple layers protecting our remote
Pg connections:

1) A conservative set of firewall rules,
2) SSL-encryption on the remote Pg connection,
3) Passwords on the remove Pg user, and
4) Restrictive rights within the database for the remote user.

As long as you have openssl installed on the remote machine, all you
need to do is pass the relevant sslmode value to your catalog.cfg DSN.
You can easily layer this in once you get your remote connection
working, too.

-DJCP

--
Daniel Collis-Puro