[ic] Receipt.html and URL Parameters

Dan Bergan dan at berganconsulting.com
Wed Mar 22 09:58:21 EST 2006

Phil Dye wrote:

>A long time ago (October 2003!), Gary Norton posted this to the list;
>

>>Their system runs a small generic JavaScript that I have embedded into the
>>Template pages so that it is available on every page. It sends the URL of
>>each page to their real-time engine.
>>
>>This engine builds its reports based on the occurrence of particular URLS.
>>However the receipt.html shows up process.html and it is messing up their
>>stats. Process.html appears far more frequently than the Receipt page is
>>delivered.
>>
>>So I need to come up with a way to change the URL so that their parser
>>

>knows
>

>>when somebody arrives at the receipt.html page.
>>
>>If the receipt.html page was displayed as any other name than process.html
>>it would work.
>>
>>I figured that the page name could stay Process.html as long as I added a
>>URL parameter such as ?finished=1 or something like that.
>>

>. but I can't see a subsequent followup in the archives. I'm now in exactly
>the same situation, so does anyone have any suggestions how I can achieve,
>or workaround, this?

I had the same problem defining a goal in Google Analytics.  The
solution I came up with was to add arg="receipt" to my checkout form action:
[area href="process" secure="1" arg="receipt"]
(the problem with this is that mv_arg=receipt will show up if the
customer has an error in the checkout form, so my statistics aren't
completely reliable.)

Then, in Google Analytics, I set my goal URL to mv_arg=receipt and I
changed the Match Type to a Regular Expression Match.  That seemed to
work for me, but if anyone has a better solution, I would love to hear it.

On a related note, I would also like to do something similar so I can
track when a customer first adds a product to their shopping cart.  That
way, I could track the shopping cart abandonment rate.  If anyone has
any ideas on the best way to do that, I would appreciate it as well.

Dan Bergan