Fwd: Re: [ic] "High traffic list" - ramblings on Interchange

Stefan Hornburg racke at linuxia.de
Thu Mar 23 04:56:47 EST 2006

William O. Yates wrote:
> Davor Ocelic wrote ..
>
>>This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
>>
>>--bound1142338720
>>
>>On Tue, 14 Mar 2006 09:03:30 +0100
>>Andreas Grau <agrau at esquat.com> wrote:
>>

>>>Remark: The introduction is copied over from another posting. I didn't
>>>want to mix subjects, which is why I am starting a new thread.
>>
>>>And many of the PHP carts are, well, good looking. Hardly any IC shop
>>>in the hall of fame is nice and modern. And inviting.
>>
>>Quite the opposite. I think a number of Hall of Fame sites are
>>nice and modern and inviting. Maybe you didn't check the Hall
>>of Fame after the recent cleanup.
>>

>>>Next, IC is largely unsupported. If you look in the mailing list
>>>archives, there are tons of serious questions which remain without
>>>answer. The other IRC channel is mostly dead.
>>>
>>>Then, IC is not really documented. Since when I follow IC, there has
>>>been zero visible progress on the docs.
>>
>>Must be that you are either following IC since only last month, or didn't
>>actually put any effort into seeing if anything has changed.
>>
>>For everyone interested in the documentation, you can subscribe
>>to our 'docs' mailing list where you can see documentation CVS commits
>>and discuss documentation issues:

>>The list has not been publicly advertised before, but now it is ;-)
>>
>>Also, as Stefan said, we are underpowered. The new documentation effort
>>is basically a one-man effort (the poor guy behind it being myself ;-).
>>
>>I invite everyone who wants to help with the documentation, or wants to
>>sponsor its development, to contact me.
>>

>>>Take an unsupportive mailing list plus zero docs, and you come to think
>>>that IC is actually a closed-shop solution.
>>
>>"Zero docs"? Are you out of your mind?
>>
>>"Unsupportive mailing list"? Are you *completely* out of your mind?
>>
>>"Closed-shop solution"? Due to the technologies it relies on and the power
>>it has, it has a significant entry barrier. I don't see it as something
>>we should apologize for.
>>

>>>To a newbie, IC is very complex. I can tell you from my own experience.
>>>And if one doesn't find a helping hand, he is likely to turn away again.
>>>
>>>What will be the consequences ?
>>>- Further drain of installations
>>>- Further drain of users
>>>- Increasingly bad reputation (complex, ugly, unsupported, few users)
>>>
>>>In the end, there may be a team of dinosaurs who satisfies himself with
>>>existing clients. Probably rationalizing that IC is technically better
>>>than anything else.
>>
>>Other developers may have other views, of course, but I don't see why should
>>we be trying hard to sell Interchange, when it is not a commodity item.
>>We're
>>not into toilet paper or shower gel business.
>>

>>>Anybody remember Univac or Data General ?
>>
>>I understand you might have used this as an example, but the situation
>>is nowhere near being comparable to Interchange.
>>

>>>I would appreciate it. And I hope we'll get somewhere with my
> [...]

Do you use a gateway for CC transactions ?

FedEx will not work. The ICDEVGROUP (Interchange developers) decided
that FedEx deprecates/removes/changes their API in fashion so that
appears unreasonable to support them.

[fedex-query] which didn't work for quite a while has been removed
from Interchange in CVS.

Bye
	Racke