[ic] Receipt.html and URL Parameters

Dan Bergan dan at berganconsulting.com
Thu Mar 23 11:27:50 EST 2006

Ron Phipps wrote:
> [...]
I assume you are talking about Google Analytics (which is what I'm
trying to use as well).  I did some searching and I finally came upon
this (which seems like the best solution) from Google's site:

You may wish to track visitors' progress through a funnel which has the
same URL for each step. For example, your sign up funnel might look like
this:

    * Step 1 (Sign Up) - www.mysite.com/sign_up.cgi
    * Step 2 (Accept Agreement) - www.mysite.com/sign_up.cgi
    * Step 3 (Finish) - www.mysite.com/sign_up.cgi

To get around this, you can call the urchinTracker Javascript function
within each step (probably within an onload event), as follows:

    urchinTracker("/funnel_G1/step1.html")
    urchinTracker("/funnel_G1/step2.html")
    urchinTracker("/funnel_G1/step3.html")

Then, set up each step of your funnel to be:

    http://www.mysite.com/funnel_G1/step1.html
    http://www.mysite.com/funnel_G1/step2.html
    http://www.mysite.com/funnel_G1/step3.html

Note that the path/filename argument to urchinTracker() need not
represent an existing path or filename. The argument to urchinTracker
simply provides a made-up pagename to which Google Analytics can attach
pageviews.

So, I think that is a better solution than getting everyone to change
how HTTP works!  ;-)

Thanks again for everyone's ideas -
Dan