[ic] I am getting some problem with interchange - Abdul

Peter peter at pajamian.dhs.org
Tue May 2 07:46:44 EDT 2006

On 05/02/2006 03:11 AM, abdul sayeed wrote:
> Hi Guys,
>
> I have installed interchange 5.4.0 from tarbell ON
> Linux Fedora Core 4 with perl 5.8.6.
>
> When i restart interchange server it gives me an error
>
> Uneble to connect DBI::MySql:db_name

That could be caused by any one of:
1.  You did not install mysql.
2.  You did not install the DBI or DBD::mysql perl modules.
3.  You did not create a database in mysql with the name "db_name" (and
I shouldn't have to say this, but for you I probably do, that's without
the quotes).
4.  You did not create a db user with the appropriate permissions to
access the "db_name" database in mysql.
5.  You did not assign the name and password of the above db user to the
appropriate variables in Interchange.
6.  Possibly several other reasons I can't think of at the moment.

Also, note that you don't have to name your database "db_name".  Another
more descriptive name would be more appropriate.

> my catalog path is
>
> http://192.168.1.5/catalog_name/index.html

Nor do you have to name your catalog, "catalog_name".

> when i click on admin interface or click on customer
> entrence it gives me an error
>
> "We're sorry, the Interchange server is unavailable...
> We are out of service or may be experiencing high
> system demand. Please try again soon."

This just means that the interchange server didn't start up for some
reason or another, or the link program can't communicate with
interchange.  See
<http://www.interchange.rtfm.info/docs/frames/icfaq_6.html> for more info.

> perl        : /usr/bin/perl

That's the path to a threaded perl.  You need an unthreaded perl to run
interchange properly.  You will need to compile and install your own
perl and change the interchange executable so that it knows where the
unthreaded perl is.  I won't go into how to do that since others already
have, just search the mailing list.

> interchange : /usr/local/interchange
> catalog     : /usr/usr_name/catalog

You name your users usr_name also ... you're allowed to use something
more appropriate such as ... interch.

> cgi-bin     : /var/www/cgi-bin
> html pages  : /var/www/html/catalog_name/

See above note about catalog_name.

Peter