[ic] expire.pl only expires sessio directory, not tmp directory

John1 list_subscriber at yahoo.co.uk
Mon May 15 16:57:01 EDT 2006

I had noticed that the tmp directory in the catalog root fills up over time.

I am running expireall.pl as a cron job and had thought that this would take
care of expiring the contents of the tmp directoy as well as the session
directory.

However, on inspection of expire.pl it seems that it only takes care of the
session directory.  Does anyone have a script for expiring the tmp directory
that they would be happy to share - thanks.

>From looking at the expire.pl source code it looks like it used to take a -d
option to specify the directory to be checked, as the documentation at the
end of the source code refers to such an option.  I am assuming this
documentation is out of date as the $USAGE text makes no mention of a -d
option.

BTW, what sort of stuff is being stored in this tmp directory?  It seems to
be full of files with long random hex file names, so I am assuming that
these files are used by the Interchange search mechanism.  i.e. the
scan/MM=a8b3c9a2b4d7a8b3c9a2b4d7 section of a search URL where
a8b3c9a2b4d7a8b3c9a2b4d7 is the filename?  Is this correct?  Incidentally,
on this subject, is it possible to make these Interchange search URLs more
search engine friendly as I am guessing that at the moment search engines
are not able to catalog our pages that generate random URLs like
scan/MM=a8b3c9a2b4d7a8b3c9a2b4d7.  Thanks