[ic] Single item results in multiple categories

Music music at labyrinth.net.au
Wed May 31 01:56:32 EDT 2006

>>> I'm sure this question has multiple solutions, but I need to figure out
>>> how
>>> to set up items that are in different categories so that I can flag and
>>> display them in the standard results grid (results.html). More
>>> specifically,
>>> I have an online store that has different categories (tshirts, jackets,
>>> belts, etc), but I need to be able to have a button on the store that
>>> allows
>>> me to show all the new flagged items for the season, in the standard
>>> results
>>> grid (not just the promo vertical category lists).
>>
>> Quick solution might be to:
>> Use 'promo' and then call it into the body of a page instead of vertical.
>>
>> OR - create a new component based on 'promo' - modify it to your
>> requirements and then call it into the body of a blank page.
>>
>> OR - create new search query using wizard in admin?
>>
> Thank you for your suggestions.
>
> My instinct was to do your first or second suggestions, but I'm
> unfortunately not completely familiar with interchange tags to accomplish
> it
> myself. I'm capable of making rudimentary modifications to the components,
> but I'm not quite sure how to do this.
>
> I had never considered your last option. How would I build a custom search
> to do what I want? Would I do a search that would key off a code that I
> would put in the description?

Starting point would be to create a search on the merchandise table.
i.e. if you wanted to display all items marked as special in foundation
store you could manually or by using the Search Wizard to generate a tag
like:

[area href=scan
 search=|

  fi=merchandising
  st=db

  co=1

  sf=featured
  se=new
  op=rm
  nu=0

  rf=sku
  ml=50

]

In my store this generates a list of all new items and displays them on our
results page.

The URL would look something like:
http://www.domainname.com/cgi-bin/storname/scan/fi=merchandising/st=db/co=1/sf=featured/se=new/op=rm/nu=0/rf=sku/ml=50.html

Fine tune the search as you need to. (look up the tags in the docs)
You can also do more with the results by making a copy of your results.html
page i.e. results_specials.html and add sp=results_specials to the area tag
above or the url.

Hope this helps.