[ic] Cheap Payment Gateway

Kevin Walsh kevin at cursor.biz
Fri Nov 3 13:17:54 EST 2006

Frank Reitzenstein <frank at goldissue.com> wrote:
> I have been collecting customers credit card details from my shopping
> cart the last 6 months.
>
> I have then gone to paypal and completed the order. This has been great
> as my sales have increased steadily. I am turning over more than USD120
> a week and increasing.
>
> Anyway paypal jumped on me today, and told me not to collect credit
> card details and process customer's accounts manually.
>
> I remember reading that a merchant gateway pays once one turns over
> $300 a week. In my case as a reseller I only take 10%.
>
> Has anyone got any suggestions for a cheap way to collect money until
> my business truly flourishes?

Manual processing of collected card details is fine as long as the
details are collected and stored securely, and then deleted when no
longer required.

GnuPG/PGP encryption is best for that sort of thing, as long as the
decryption key is kept secure.  You will be jumped upon from a great
height if you do anything insecurely, such as storing card details in
the clear.

If you were in North America, you could probably use the PayPal "Pro"
gateway to process card payments.  You're in Australia, I see, so that
option might be closed to you at this time.

You will find a list of payment modules, along with setup and usage
instructions, on the following page:

    http://www.interchange.rtfm.info/downloads/payments.html

Modules to support other synchronous payment gateways can be written,
and you might even find that someone has written a gateway that works
with your chosen service already.

You could also look at bureau services, and anyone who will provide you
with a web-based payment submission form for manual processing.  The
comments about card detail security still apply, of course.

 _/ _/    _/          _/ _/     _/    _/  _/_/    kevin at cursor.biz