[ic] Storable in a mixed environment

Mike Heins mike at perusion.com
Wed Apr 11 10:37:16 EDT 2007

Quoting Jon Jensen (jon at endpoint.com):
> On Wed, 11 Apr 2007, Bill Carr wrote:
>
> >I am running Interchange 5.4.1 in LVS cluster with the session files
> >stored on NFS mounted partitions. I recently added a couple of 64-bit
> >real servers to the cluster. I am now receiving "Byte order is not
> >compatible" errors from Storable. The existing hosts are all 32-bit
> >systems.
> >
> >Any general strategies for dealing with this? I'm not married to
> >Storable. I've just always used it without much thought.
>
> I always make sure all app servers in a cluster are using the same
> architecture; running 32-bit Perl on 64-bit operating systems works well
> and avoids these kind of interoperability problems until you migrate to
> 64-bit only.

If this is not an option, you can also just move to Data::Dumper. It
gives up about 30-50% more CPU in session creation, but otherwise
shouldn't be too much of a drag.

Using it can be as easy as removing the _session_storable file in your
interchange root -- and removing all your old session files, of course.

--
Mike Heins

I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me and 90%
how I react to it. And so it is for you... we are in charge
of our attitudes. -- Charles Swindoll