[ic] Scalable usage of Interchange

Jon Jensen jon at endpoint.com
Mon Apr 16 22:43:49 EDT 2007

On Mon, 16 Apr 2007, Paul Jordan wrote:

> So, if one were to have an ecommerce store, web mail and CRM would it
> make sense to have designed them in their own IC installs? I mean,
> regardless IF they are busy... When they are busy I was thinking, should
> I be able to have an IC install for webmail, and another for the store,
> and so on.

It depends on whether they share code, HTML templates, sessions, and the
database. If all those apps are used by the same people, with the same
user database, and have shared code, it might make sense to leave them all
on the same Interchange daemon.

Normally I find it's best to default to a separate Interchange daemon per
application so you can have global code and configuration that doesn't
affect any other applications. But if you really have a suite of different
applications developed by the same group of people, you may not even want
or need different Interchange catalogs. Why not just use one catalog with
different URL space for different functions?

> What I am hoping to hear is that one IC catalog is the way to go and if
> things got crazy busy something like this could be done:
>
> http://www.icdevgroup.org/pipermail/interchange-users/2001-April/007637.html
>
> Without much drama dismantling a busy catalog.

They're not mutually exclusive. You can scale out to multiple Interchange
servers with one catalog per IC or many. The key is getting a shared
session backend that can handle the load. And until you hit fairly high
traffic levels, that's not too hard.

Jon

--
Jon Jensen