[ic] New to Interchange, trying to upgrade from a VERY old version

Jordan Adler jordan at endpoint.com
Mon Dec 31 16:25:37 EST 2007

Greetings fellow SCAdian,

On Mon, December 31, 2007 14:55, Scott Courtney wrote:
>   This is odd, because there is no mention of special_pages under the
>   catalog tutorial.

Yes, there is:
http://www.icdevgroup.org/doc/iccattut.html#special_pages/missing.html

> * In my example setup, I can successfully bring up the catalog's main
>   page with https://myserver.example.org/test.cgi but all the links from
>   that page want to point to http://myserver.example.org/test.cgi. I
> thought
>   this was just a matter of setting SECURE_SERVER in variables.txt, and

As I understand it, variables.txt is usually used to define runtime
variables, for use in ITL.  See Variable and VariableDatabase config
directives docs:
http://www.interchange.rtfm.info/icdocs/config/VariableDatabase.html

But what you really need to do (probably) is set SecureURL:
http://www.interchange.rtfm.info/icdocs/config/SecureURL.html

Note, however, that links in the markup of your pages are totally
dependent on how they are set-up.  In other words, if you have static
links in your pages, you will need to change them by hand (to something
less static, preferably).

> * What do I need to clone over from the old server to make the page
> layouts
>   the same as we had before? I'm sure I need to clone the pages directory,
>   but what else? And....Can an Interchange veteran tell me whether the
>   template language has substantially changed since the Dark Ages of 4.8?
>   Is there a template migration tool and/or guidebook?

You will suredly need to copy over any non-interchange static files.  CSS
files, images, static html, flash files, etc.  See your apache (or $httpd)
config for paths.

As I am fairly new to IC myself, I'm not much sure about old versions.
However, I would recommend that you review
http://www.icdevgroup.org/doc/icupgrade.html if you have not already.  You
may also want to see the UPGRADE file:
http://www.icdevgroup.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb/interchange/UPGRADE?rev=2.23;content-type=text%2Fplain

>   I'd like to use /test/incex.cgi if possible, as a friendlier URL. My

I'm not sure what the appropriate solution to this would be, but using
mod_rewrite, at the very least, would work.

> * Is there any way to have the URL simply be https://mystore.example.org/

This will likely need to be set up from apache (or the httpd you are
using).  IC, afaik, does not handle anything before the request to its
linker program.

--
Thanks,

Jordan M. Adler