[ic] swish search - quotes

Kevin Walsh kevin at cursor.biz
Wed Feb 7 18:27:08 EST 2007

Dan Bergan <dan at berganconsulting.com> wrote:
> Quoting Kevin Walsh <kevin at cursor.biz>:
> > Try the Vend::Swish2 module from Interchange 5.5 (CVS).  The setup is
> > the same, except change "Swish" to "Swish2" in config files.  You should
> > be able to just dump the lib/Vend/Swish2.pm file into any 5.4.x version,
> > and probably most other versions too.
> >
> > Maybe Swish2 will fix your problem and maybe it won't.  I haven't looked
> > into it.  Swish2 makes use of the SWISH::API module (and friends) instead
> > of building up a swish-e command line and executing it in a shell.  As
> > there's no shell, there's no need to remove "unsafe" characters from the
> > search spec.
> >
> > My RTFM website uses Interchange 5.5.0 and Vend::Swish2, so you could
> > try out a couple of searches there to see if you get the kind of results
> > you might expect.
> >
> I tried it out a few times on your site, and it doesn't seem to be
> doing exactly what I'm looking for.
>
> I searched for the phrase:
> "area tag produces"
>
> (which is a phrase that is found on the Area tag page).  It found the
> Area tag page as the first result, but it also returned two other
> pages.  Those pages had all the words (or variations of the words),
> but not the exact phrase.

Well, that's probably just the nature of a Swish search.  Your request
came up first, followed by other possibilities.  There may be an option
to make Swish return exactly what is asked for, with no "lower score
suggestions."

I haven't looked into the matter, but I suspect that it won't take a lot
of investigative work to tune up your search.  I'd start with the Swish-e
config file.

I'm using "FuzzyIndexingMode Stemming_en2" in the Swish-e config, which
may account for the "exact match followed by other suggestions" you were
presented with.

 _/ _/    _/          _/ _/     _/    _/  _/_/    kevin at cursor.biz